With the sponsorship of Iberdrola, a bronze plaque honoring Diego de Gardoqui, casted by sculptor Salvador Amaya’s studio has been installed last January. It has been placed close to the main façade of the historic house-museum Jeremiah Lee Mansion in Marblehead (Massachusetts).
Lee and Elbridge Gerry were the American merchants associates of Gardoqui, whom they asked for military supplies at the end of the year 1774. Gardoqui sent 300 Spanish rifles and 600 pistols from Bilbao in February 1775. They were the first foreign weapons received in the fight for the independence of the U.S.